It refers to genetic profiling of embryos prior to implantation (as a form of embryo profiling), and sometimes even of oocytes prior to fertilization. Here a genetic material from an Ovum or Embryo is taken and studied before embryo transfer. PGD can potentially be used
1. to select embryos to be without a genetic disorder
2. to have increased chances of successful pregnancy
3. to match a sibling in HLA type in order to be a donor
4. to have less cancer predisposition
5. Various Genetic diseases where it can be used are
Cystic Fibrosis, Beta-Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Disease and Spinal Muscular Atrophy (Type 1) Myotonic Mystrophy, Huntington's Disease and Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease; Fragile X Syndrome, Haemophilia A and Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
....to Fulfill your Dreams
The Beginning of the Most Cutest Wonder and That is a BABY!